8.28.2017

Leadership - Listen with your eyes…



Effective listening is essential to good leadership.  Many MMM’s have focused on the importance of attentive interactive listening while others are speaking.  But that is not the only form of listening.  It is also critical to listen with your eyes.  You can learn a lot by paying attention to things you see around you.  Listen for body language.  Pay attention to attitudes.  Watch how people interact with others.  Look for team members exerting positive or negative forces in the workplace.  Notice when someone’s mood or personality changes dramatically.  Watch closely how associates react in meetings.  This is not an area of strength for me.  I have been surprised many times being told about something going on right in front of me that I should have already noticed.  But I am trying to be more aware of listening with my eyes.  I recognize how important it is to my leadership.  A lot can be learned by opening your eyes and closing your mouth.  Great leaders know the importance of listening with their eyes.    

No comments:

Post a Comment