1.19.2015

Productivity

Procrastination is a problem for me. I am not near as productive as I could be. In fact, improving my effectiveness is one of my New Year resolutions. I need to work through projects and my “To Do” list more quickly. There always seems to be good excuses to put things off. Sound familiar? I feel a little bit like I am writing this MMM directly to myself! There are two specific things I need to remind myself in order to become more productive…
Stop planning, start doing!
I am a great planner. There are a lot of plans in my head, notes in my desk, and lists on my computer. I have regular work projects that need completion. There are also books to write and businesses to start. Planning is important, but at some point you have to just do it. Plan appropriately but don’t let planning become the work. More importantly, don’t let planning be your excuse for procrastination.

Don’t be a perfectionist!
Chasing perfection causes you to take longer to complete tasks. It just takes more time to be perfect and it is almost never required. This is actually a bigger challenge for those of us that are self-employed. We don’t have others to impose deadlines and demand completion in spite of imperfections. Just know that it always takes longer to be perfect and the payoff for that perfection seldom offsets the time it took.

No comments:

Post a Comment