We are all leaders. Some of us are formal leaders with official titles; others are more informal leaders with influence. We lead at home, church, in our community and at work. We lead our children, our peers and our employees. If you do not consider yourself a leader, think again. Don’t ignore an opportunity to influence those around you. Below are some of what I believe to be keys to outstanding leadership. Embrace these and be a great leader!
- Hope - Great leaders give people hope for a better tomorrow.
- Consistency - When followers never know what to expect from a leader they will stop expecting anything. (see last weeks’ MMM)
- Influence - People do not respond well when pushed, forced or directed. They respond best when influenced by leaders they respect.
- Honesty & Trust - Trust and honesty are established when words and actions match up.
- Accountability - Understand that followers need to see leaders who are willing to be accountable.
- Humility - As leaders we should be concerned with what is right, not if we are right.
- Respect & Caring - People do not care what you know until they know that you care.